NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update #4: Final Call Snow Map

+56
GreyBeard
weatherwatchermom
dsix85
billg315
WOLVES1
wilsocks
Snow88
chief7
toople
nyrfan31
dsvinos
smoggy14
snow247
mancave25
Puff the magic dragon
Artechmetals
Abba701
thgstang
Aiosamoney21
SNOW MAN
New Yorker 234
deadrabbit79
Grselig
Vinnydula
Scullybutcher
meeka312
Analog96
docstox12
BARBIEFLY
essexcountypete
Sferra01
mako460
oldtimer
dad4twoboys
bloc1357
Sunflowers138
crippo84
carvin1079
dkodgis
RJB8525
Dunnzoo
NjWeatherGuy
algae888
Math23x7
aiannone
CPcantmeasuresnow
rb924119
nutleyblizzard
sroc4
skinsfan1177
SoulSingMG
jmanley32
Quietace
devsman
amugs
Frank_Wx
60 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Update #4: Final Call Snow Map - Page 15 Empty Re: Update #4: Final Call Snow Map

Post by Quietace Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Who is correct ace., maue? DO you think winds could get that bad here ie. NYC area S and E? That's paralyzing! But what were you saying about the boxing day blizzard sorry I lost ya,

Madonne.

Dear Jman,

Winds will not get figured out until tomorrow night's 00z runs. We still do not know exact tracks, how much this storm will deepen, and where the H7 and H85 low's set-up yet. This is huge in determining wind speeds. Best guess now is sustained 30 mph with gusts 40+ mph.

Yours Truly,

Frank
lol!

Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Update #4: Final Call Snow Map - Page 15 Empty Re: Update #4: Final Call Snow Map

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:22 pm

NJ it seems like ever since I left home in CT they get all the extreme weather and I miss it here, go figure.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:23 pm

I've been waiting to see what Mr Goldberg has to say. he chimed in and said Saturday we will see a rain/snow storm hug the coast more on that later to come. Bill was avoiding it at noon lol
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:23 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Yes I meant the upper end I think wind gusts around my area hit the lower end of that ace, isn;t "B" word criteria 35mph or higher?  And as I recall it has nothing to do with how much snow is forecasted, but more duration of the snow and winds and visibility?
Blizzard: A storm producing winds of 35 mph or more with snow and/or blowing snow
reducing visibility to less than ¼ mile for at least 3 hours.

A Blizzard Watch is issued 12 to 48 hours before the event and a Blizzard Warning within 36
hours when there is a high level of confidence that the event will occur.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Gee Frank I didn't hear the sarchasm in that one! Its all good, that's why I like this forum we have fun. But sorry I know I am pesky with the wind thing, its moreso my interest if we get a "B" warning or not. Your right no reason to even discuss that sorry, just been excited and I certainly hope it pans out to be great.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:25 pm

RJB8525 wrote:I've been waiting to see what Mr Goldberg has to say. he chimed in and said  Saturday we will see a rain/snow storm hug the coast more on that later to come. Bill was avoiding it at noon lol

They won't say anything until tomorrow's 6:00 news! They are waaayyyy too conservative...

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:26 pm

UPTON:

"THERE ARE DIFFERENCES AMONG THE MODELS...BUT THE 12Z NAM AND THE 12Z
ECMWF HAVE INTRODUCED A SURGE IN WARM AIR ALOFT...TO +2C...AT 850
MB. WITH A SHALLOW LAYER OF COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE...WHICH
SIGNALS POTENTIAL FOR MORE OF A FREEZING RAIN EVENT THAN A SNOW
EVENT FOR PARTS OF THE AREA SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY
AFTERNOON. NAM BUFKIT PROFILES SUPPORT THIS. THE 12Z GFS REMAINS
OFFSHORE WITH THE LOW...AND DOES NOT HAVE THAT SURGE OF WARM AIR
ALOFT...WITH ALL SNOW EVENT. THIS ALSO SHOWS UP IN THE GFS BUFKIT
PROFILES.

CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW IN THE FORECAST FOR THE EVENT ON SATURDAY.
WILL INTRODUCE FREEZING RAIN AND WILL TREND FORECAST TO MORE OF A
MIXED PRECIP/FREEZING RAIN EVENT AND WILL BEGIN TO DOWNPLAY THE SNOW
POTENTIAL. THIS IS DUE TO THE WARM AIR AT 850 MB THAT THE MODELS ARE
SHOWING."

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:27 pm

I was close Ace, hey I do know some things heh. Off to go to dinner with the wife will check in later tonight (who am I kidding im gonna be on my phone checking the 18z gfs lol.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Dear lord soulsing that is not good on two points, we get skunked again and that's a dangerouns amount of ice, last sat would be nothing compared to ice and MAYBE (for u Frank lol) some wind. Frank what is your take on that, its a total turn in the works?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:29 pm

SoulSingMG wrote:UPTON:

"THERE ARE DIFFERENCES AMONG THE MODELS...BUT THE 12Z NAM AND THE 12Z
ECMWF HAVE INTRODUCED A SURGE IN WARM AIR ALOFT...TO +2C...AT 850
MB. WITH A SHALLOW LAYER OF COLD AIR AT THE SURFACE...WHICH
SIGNALS POTENTIAL FOR MORE OF A FREEZING RAIN EVENT THAN A SNOW
EVENT FOR PARTS OF THE AREA SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY
AFTERNOON. NAM BUFKIT PROFILES SUPPORT THIS. THE 12Z GFS REMAINS
OFFSHORE WITH THE LOW...AND DOES NOT HAVE THAT SURGE OF WARM AIR
ALOFT...WITH ALL SNOW EVENT. THIS ALSO SHOWS UP IN THE GFS BUFKIT
PROFILES.

CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW IN THE FORECAST FOR THE EVENT ON SATURDAY.
WILL INTRODUCE FREEZING RAIN AND WILL TREND FORECAST TO MORE OF A
MIXED PRECIP/FREEZING RAIN EVENT AND WILL BEGIN TO DOWNPLAY THE SNOW
POTENTIAL. THIS IS DUE TO THE WARM AIR AT 850 MB THAT THE MODELS ARE
SHOWING."

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

yup here we go No
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Looking at the setup I do not see a strong HP to the N or the NW that is providing that tight pressure gradient and thus channeling the winds to the surface. Right now if it played out exactly like the 12z EURO I believe it would end up very similar to last year 2/16, powerful sub 985 storm off of NJ but no strong HP means weak winds. Steady breeze maybe 10-20 is the max it got to highest gust maybe 25, s and e obviously windier.

Last edited by NjWeatherGuy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Dear lord soulsing that is not good on two points, we get skunked again and that's a dangerouns amount of ice, last sat would be nothing compared to ice and MAYBE (for u Frank lol) some wind.  Frank what is your take on that, its a total turn in the works?

It wouldn't even be an epic ice storm. It would be rain here and sleet along the river and then snow inland. We, and I repeat, do NOT get epic ice storms in NYC proper. It just hasn't happened, I've researched it. Outside the city yes, but this mixing point Upton addresses is worrisome.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:35 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Gee Frank I didn't hear the sarchasm in that one! Its all good, that's why I like this forum we have fun.  But sorry I know I am pesky with the wind thing, its moreso my interest if we get a "B" warning or not.  Your right no reason to even discuss that sorry, just been excited and I certainly hope it pans out to be great.

Jman, as you know a blizzard has nothing to do with snow amounts just visability and winds as Ace posted.

I've been through blizzards and blizzard warnings in the midwest that saw a total of 6 or so inches of snow. It's open plains and high winds make it blizzard conditions even though snowfalls are relatively light.

Give me 2 feet of snow and the winds can be calm for all I care. Throw some fog in to boot.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Yeah, there wouldn't be too much ice along the coastal plain. Ice only readily accumulates when the precipitation rates are light and temperatures are significantly below freezing. With the moderate to heavy rates and borderline surface temperatures, a short period of freezing rain would be followed by plain rain. I wouldn't get concerned with the details yet, though; too many large variables at play until Friday 00z runs at the earliest.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:40 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Gee Frank I didn't hear the sarchasm in that one! Its all good, that's why I like this forum we have fun.  But sorry I know I am pesky with the wind thing, its moreso my interest if we get a "B" warning or not.  Your right no reason to even discuss that sorry, just been excited and I certainly hope it pans out to be great.

Jman, as you know a blizzard has nothing to do with snow amounts just visability and winds as Ace posted.

I've been through blizzards and blizzard warnings in the midwest that saw a total of 6 or so inches of snow. It's open plains and high winds make it blizzard conditions even though snowfalls are relatively light.

Give me 2 feet of snow and the winds can be calm for all I care. Throw some fog in to boot.

i think a lot of people confuse this, i was one of them

i thought it had to be a certain amount of snow plus wind sustained for long periods and 0 visibility
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:40 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

'03, LP was like 1003 mb at deepest yet dumped a huge swath of 2 feet plus over the whole area, barely any winds, just 2 days of heavy dumping snow. Would take anyday.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:41 pm

soul I am north of New York City thats why its concerning we got a lot of ice last Saturday. The reports of my friends
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 pm

makes sense about the heavy precip but it's also possible that the precip is not as heavy and therefore it does cause I think although there is no way that I am asking for an ice storm this is concerning to me I want that snow
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:45 pm

I hear Lucy in the closet and she's looking for something.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

'03, LP was like 1003 mb at deepest yet dumped a huge swath of 2 feet plus over the whole area, barely any winds, just 2 days of heavy dumping snow. Would take anyday.

Exactly Tom, one of my all time favorites. Who needs the wind, that was a thing of beauty. I got 30 inches here and no drifts, it was beautiful.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:49 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Exactly Tom, one of my all time favorites. Who needs  the wind, that was a thing of  beauty. I got 30 inches here and no drifts, it was beautiful.

We did have pretty good wind here along the coast.

It isn't the pressure of the low that matters so much as it's the differnece between the high and low- the gradient.

In 2003, we had a near-record strong high to the north.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:53 pm

any of the pros here went to chime in on what was said by the National Weather Service that is a huge turn around I seriously hope they are wrong
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:55 pm

jmanley32 wrote:any of the pros here went to chime in on what was said by the National Weather Service that is a huge turn around I seriously hope they are wrong

I really have no idea what they were doing this afternoon to be honest.

I mean I can't see a model that has a mostly rain event all the way to 287, can anyone else?

And this sure as hell doesn't look like a freezing rain event.

There is no damming type high, and it isn't a big inversion scenario.

I could see it snow at 33 or 34 more than freezing rain in this setup.

Sleet could be possible at times with the warm pockets aloft, but freezing rain, no way.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:55 pm

What did they say?
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:56 pm

FWIW 18z GFS OP is WAY east lol

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Analog96 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:any of the pros here went to chime in on what was said by the National Weather Service that is a huge turn around I seriously hope they are wrong

I really have no idea what they were doing this afternoon to be honest.

I mean I can't see a model that has a mostly rain event all the way to 287, can anyone else?

And this sure as hell doesn't look like a freezing rain event.

There is no damming type high, and it isn't a big inversion scenario.

I could see it snow at 33 or 34 more than freezing rain in this setup.

Sleet could be possible at times with the warm pockets aloft, but freezing rain, no way.

100% correct.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm

rb924119 wrote:FWIW 18z GFS OP is WAY east lol

I know it's the 18Z but, that's not what I want to hear.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum