NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+46
aiannone
Taffy
brownie
kalleg
GreyBeard
mikeypizano
Dtone
SkiSeadooJoe
Radz
gigs68
Joe Snow
Scullybutcher
oldtimer
SENJsnowman
weatherwatchermom
Isotherm
docstox12
SoulSingMG
Fededle22
SNOW MAN
rb924119
RJB8525
algae888
dkodgis
frank 638
dad4twoboys
devsman
Snow88
Grselig
skinsfan1177
Math23x7
billg315
Frank_Wx
amugs
jmanley32
essexcountypete
nutleyblizzard
track17
CPcantmeasuresnow
sroc4
sabamfa
jake732
hyde345
Quietace
Dunnzoo
HectorO
50 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 31 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:39 am

Greslig! Happy birthday! Didn't realize we had the same b-day, haha. I'm sure there will be a party in the OTI Coconut Lounge this evening!

billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 am

This is an interesting topic for discussion. Would love to hear the thoughts of others. I find this story stunning. In a nutshell, the NWS realizes Monday afternoon their snowfall amounts are overdone (or they believe they are overdone) but doesn't reduce them because they either (and this depends on how you spin it, but I submit it's the same thing) A. Don't want to "confuse" people into thinking the storm won't be as bad; or B. Are trying to scare people into being prepared. Look, I am all for making sure people are prepared. But science is about facts and data, not trying to spin the data to achieve an outcome. I think it was incumbent on them, if they really believed totals would be lower, to say so and then to emphasize that people still need to be prepared because its still a dangerous storm. I think people are smart enough to realize they need to prepare for a storm whether it's 10" or 20". And here is the most important reason why: Many people right now have fallen into that "Oh you can't trust the forecasters" mode. As Math said yesterday, next big storm, many people may not listen to warnings. So by trying to not "confuse" people, they may have undercut their own credibility, which may be more dangerous in the long-term. It's a tough job, and I respect the work these guys do, but this is the first time I think I've seen the NWS admit to putting out a forecast they didn't really believe in. That can't happen.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_WINTER_WEATHER_FORECAST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-14-17-17-34

billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 am

Happy Birthday to billg and gresling. May your year be filled with light, love and laughter.

Just drove a mile to the local mom and pop store. The roads are the worst I've ever seen. Ice is inches thick.

Thanks heaven for the "marauding" group of boys with shovels slung over their shoulders. I love them.

Blizzard of 78' in Red Sox Suck is still the best one for me.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 am

Taffy wrote:Happy Birthday to billg and gresling. May your year be filled with light, love and laughter.

Just drove a mile to the local mom and pop store. The roads are the worst I've ever seen. Ice is inches thick.

Thanks heaven for the "marauding" group of boys with shovels slung over their shoulders. I love them.

Thank you!
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 am

billg315 wrote:This is an interesting topic for discussion. Would love to hear the thoughts of others. I find this story stunning. In a nutshell, the NWS realizes Monday afternoon their snowfall amounts are overdone (or they believe they are overdone) but doesn't reduce them because they either (and this depends on how you spin it, but I submit it's the same thing) A. Don't want to "confuse" people into thinking the storm won't be as bad; or B. Are trying to scare people into being prepared. Look, I am all for making sure people are prepared. But science is about facts and data, not trying to spin the data to achieve an outcome. I think it was incumbent on them, if they really believed totals would be lower, to say so and then to emphasize that people still need to be prepared because its still a dangerous storm. I think people are smart enough to realize they need to prepare for a storm whether it's 10" or 20". And here is the most important reason why: Many people right now have fallen into that "Oh you can't trust the forecasters" mode. As Math said yesterday, next big storm, many people may not listen to warnings. So by trying to not "confuse" people, they may have undercut their own credibility, which may be more dangerous in the long-term. It's a tough job, and I respect the work these guys do, but this is the first time I think I've seen the NWS admit to putting out a forecast they didn't really believe in. That can't happen.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_WINTER_WEATHER_FORECAST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-14-17-17-34
Unexpected things happen with weather systems all the time.  

Yesterday's storm was awful here in Parsippany, and the huge amount of sleet made it just as bad to clean up as if another 6-12 inches of snow had fallen.  I went out to the store about an hour ago and the roads and parking lots are in terrible shape - huge chunks of ice like ruts in the middle of the road.  Plows still out cleaning up.  Most schools in northern NJ are closed again today.

I think they made the right call letting the forecast stand yesterday.  It's not like it ended up being 50 degrees and sunny instead of a bad storm.

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 am

billg315 wrote:Greslig! Happy birthday! Didn't realize we had the same b-day, haha. I'm sure there will be a party in the OTI Coconut Lounge this evening!

Your birthday does not show up at the bottom of the forum, why??

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
billg315 wrote:Greslig! Happy birthday! Didn't realize we had the same b-day, haha. I'm sure there will be a party in the OTI Coconut Lounge this evening!

Your birthday does not show up at the bottom of the forum, why??

I don't think I ever entered it in my profile, although the "315" at the end of screen-name may give it away to some. haha! I'll add it in.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:05 pm

B-Day added. Done.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:16 pm

brownie wrote:
billg315 wrote:This is an interesting topic for discussion. Would love to hear the thoughts of others. I find this story stunning. In a nutshell, the NWS realizes Monday afternoon their snowfall amounts are overdone (or they believe they are overdone) but doesn't reduce them because they either (and this depends on how you spin it, but I submit it's the same thing) A. Don't want to "confuse" people into thinking the storm won't be as bad; or B. Are trying to scare people into being prepared. Look, I am all for making sure people are prepared. But science is about facts and data, not trying to spin the data to achieve an outcome. I think it was incumbent on them, if they really believed totals would be lower, to say so and then to emphasize that people still need to be prepared because its still a dangerous storm. I think people are smart enough to realize they need to prepare for a storm whether it's 10" or 20". And here is the most important reason why: Many people right now have fallen into that "Oh you can't trust the forecasters" mode. As Math said yesterday, next big storm, many people may not listen to warnings. So by trying to not "confuse" people, they may have undercut their own credibility, which may be more dangerous in the long-term. It's a tough job, and I respect the work these guys do, but this is the first time I think I've seen the NWS admit to putting out a forecast they didn't really believe in. That can't happen.

Unexpected things happen with weather systems all the time.  

Yesterday's storm was awful here in Parsippany, and the huge amount of sleet made it just as bad to clean up as if another 6-12 inches of snow had fallen.  I went out to the store about an hour ago and the roads and parking lots are in terrible shape - huge chunks of ice like ruts in the middle of the road.  Plows still out cleaning up.  Most schools in northern NJ are closed again today.

I think they made the right call letting the forecast stand yesterday.  It's not like it ended up being 50 degrees and sunny instead of a bad storm.

I get your point where you are. Many people did get a big storm, and I got what I consider to be a significant storm (even though less than forecasted). The problem is, while many people did get a significant storm and the forecast was close for some people, the forecast was actually way off for many people. Especially in the D.C. area, the Philly and South Jersey area, and the immediate NYC area (which have huge populations). For many of those people it was actually off by a foot or more. That's a big difference. I'm not personally complaining, but there absolutely has been a public backlash in some of those areas. My point is, if they really believed in those numbers, I'm fine with it. Stick to your guns because nothing is certain and these are tough systems to nail down. Don't hedge your bets just to be safe. But in this story they admit actually believing the forecast was off. In that's the case, I really don't think there was anything stopping them from simply adjusting the forecast totals DOWN for those areas and leaving it as was for the areas that ended up getting a big hit as forecasted. It's not an all or nothing deal, they could have just adjusted the numbers a bit to reflect what they thought would happen. It might have saved another annoying round of "the weathermen are always wrong" -- which is an attitude I despise, but which situations like this unfortunately seem to invite.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by dad4twoboys Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Buon Compleanno  party  Tanti Auguri

Greslig !!!

dad4twoboys
dad4twoboys
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

http://massageguy99.teamasea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:00 pm

billg315 wrote:B-Day added. Done.

1974 or 1975? Because I recall you told me at the meetup on 11/14/15 that it was 1975 (a Saturday)

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Math23x7 wrote:

1974 or 1975?  Because I recall you told me at the meetup on 11/14/15 that it was 1975 (a Saturday)

1974. Or it could be 1975. Or 1976 even. Wink
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:51 pm

billg315 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

1974 or 1975?  Because I recall you told me at the meetup on 11/14/15 that it was 1975 (a Saturday)

1974. Or it could be 1975. Or 1976 even. Wink

LOL, you are too young to be suffering from early stages of dementia, leave that to us old goats!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Just finished dealing with the negative side, if there is such a thing, to a big snow. Snow in the attic that got through the vents during the storm that melted through the ceiling. Anyone know what to do to prevent that in the future? It seems to happen during those huge storms with dry snow.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Just finished dealing with the negative side, if there is such a thing, to a big snow. Snow in the attic that got through the vents during the storm that melted through the ceiling. Anyone know what to do to prevent that in the future? It seems to happen during those huge storms with dry snow.

Negative side to snow huh? So you have never slipped on black ice?

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Math23x7 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Just finished dealing with the negative side, if there is such a thing, to a big snow. Snow in the attic that got through the vents during the storm that melted through the ceiling. Anyone know what to do to prevent that in the future? It seems to happen during those huge storms with dry snow.

Well technically that's not snow, its melted snow usually that reforms as ice. Not a good feeling though.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:21 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

Well technically that's not snow, its melted snow usually that reforms as ice. Not a good feeling though.

January 25th, 2001 when I was 10 and February 18th, 2010 was I was 19: I slipped on slick pavement, it undoubtedly hurt. The next time I slipped: February 3rd, 2011 (day after ice storm) on a sidewalk going down a hill late in the night. Fortunately, I knew at that instinct to land on my behind. Didn't really hurt much. Interesting enough, all three of those days were Thursdays.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 am

Duct Tape!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 am

Math23x7 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

January 25th, 2001 when I was 10 and February 18th, 2010 was I was 19: I slipped on slick pavement, it undoubtedly hurt.  The next time I slipped: February 3rd, 2011 (day after ice storm) on a sidewalk going down a hill late in the night.  Fortunately, I knew at that instinct to land on my behind.  Didn't really hurt much.  Interesting enough, all three of those days were Thursdays.

Well, you youngsters can bounce right back up again but I'm now in the age category that real damage can be done, and as of late, take very special care navigating the ice and snow.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dad4twoboys Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 am

perhaps a FINE MESH SCREEN ???
dad4twoboys
dad4twoboys
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

http://massageguy99.teamasea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:55 pm

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

NWS confirms there was a blizzard but they have the date March 17th for the storm which is today,LOL.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Hey Frank, hope you packed your shorts and t shirts for Dallas, saw they are expecting record warmth with temps in the mid 80's. Have a good trip.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Guessing you have gable end vents only and the wind forces the powdery snow up through the louvers and through the screening. Long term fix would be to install soffit vents and a ridge vent and close the gable vents off permanently. Quick fix if you have attic access is to install a framework that accepts furnace filters which will allow the air flow yet block particles and snow from entering, then you just remove or change them when needed
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Radz wrote:

Guessing you have gable end vents only and the wind forces the powdery snow up through the louvers and through the screening. Long term fix would be to install soffit vents and a ridge vent and close the gable vents off permanently. Quick fix if you have attic access is to install a framework that accepts furnace filters which will allow the air flow yet block particles and snow from entering, then you just remove or change them when needed

Excellent idea that would save a ton of money with the other idea of ridge and soffit venting.All predicated on the access of course.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Taffy wrote:Happy Birthday to billg and gresling. May your year be filled with light, love and laughter.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! We got a foot and I spent time with my small kids. Fun!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Radz wrote:

Thanks a million Radz I'm going to give that a shot.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:04 pm

This to me is 12z euro 
Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 31 Tumblr_mreczsWyFw1r8nxtno1_400

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next