NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April Observations & Discussions

+27
2004blackwrx
SoulSingMG
Snow88
jmanley32
Vinnydula
rb924119
Math23x7
brownie
Grselig
skinsfan1177
weatherwatchermom
heehaw453
Radz
Dtone
gigs68
docstox12
aiannone
dkodgis
essexcountypete
Dunnzoo
RJB8525
mikeypizano
Frank_Wx
amugs
frank 638
billg315
CPcantmeasuresnow
31 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

April Observations & Discussions - Page 7 Empty Re: April Observations & Discussions

Post by skinsfan1177 Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:12 am

36° this morning Brrr

skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

April Observations & Discussions - Page 7 Empty Re: April Observations & Discussions

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:51 am

32 and still snow on the cars, bushes, trees and grass from last night.

Winter is not going out without a fight this year. Of course this is no surprise to anyone that read that banter page On February 2nd.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Did 2 more yards today.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:43 pm

mikeypizano wrote:Did 2 more yards today.

Please tell me you aren't mowing anything, and are just cleaning up lol if you are mowing, where and what??? Lmfao because I was just up at my parents' as recently as earlier this afternoon and there was not a single iota of even the thought of life up there in the grass lmfao then again, it was also covered in snow, but still... ahaha

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:59 pm

My lawn on LI is still mostly brown. Definitely can’t cut

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 pm

rb924119 wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:Did 2 more yards today.

Please tell me you aren't mowing anything, and are just cleaning up lol if you are mowing, where and what??? Lmfao because I was just up at my parents' as recently as earlier this afternoon and there was not a single iota of even the thought of life up there in the grass lmfao then again, it was also covered in snow, but still... ahaha

I did not take pics today but they are green and growing here Smile

Edit: Not all but a good bit are at least green now.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:51 pm

I was up around Hopewell Junction a few days ago and it does look more dead and barren up there. Not that its lush vegatation here but its definitely looks more like spring around me with many flowering trees in full bloom or past bloom and headed toward the plain green leaves phase. grass is green not growing tall enough to have to mow but I'm no mowing expert. I figured its still going below freezing at night on semi regular basis up there.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Dtone wrote:I was up around Hopewell Junction a few days ago and it does look more dead and barren up there. Not that its lush vegatation here but its definitely looks more like spring around me with many flowering trees in full bloom or past bloom and headed toward the plain green leaves phase. grass is green not growing tall enough to have to mow but I'm no mowing expert. I figured its still going below freezing at night on semi regular basis up there.

The first cut usually, at least for me, isn't really tall, but it helps to even it out. I took off maybe a half inch or so. It also helps to get any leaves up as well. In yards that don't do weed control, chickweed is growing quick as is wild garlic. I did 3 yards so far, and will do a few more next week, but it is a very slow start here.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 pm

I will not see a lawn mower until sometime in May. Usually the last week of April or first week of May is when I do the first cut.

We had a half inch of snow last night and a little more expected tomorrow morning.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:I will not see a lawn mower until sometime in May. Usually the last week of April or first week of May is when I do the first cut.

We had a half inch of snow last night and a little more expected tomorrow morning.

You keep it! 36 now, rained a bit last night. Taking today off due to cutting tip of my thumb off with a mandolin yesterday, so I can't really do much...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I mentioned in the other thread that we could be looking at the coldest April in NYC since 1975 (which averaged 47.9). Interesting enough, this was the last April to be below the 1871-1900 April average of 48.4 (I mentioned this in the stats thread). When I put the forecast highs/lows from last night for the rest of the month with the month so far, the average came out to 49.1. The coldest April in my lifetime was 2003 at 49.8 (that also had a snowstorm). Now, those Aprils in the late 19th century were something else. The Aprils in 1874 and 1875 averaged at 41.1 and 43.1, respectively. February 2017 and February 2018 were both warmer than April 1874. Also, if the April 2018 average is indeed 49.1, it would be 1.7 degrees colder than December 2015.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:02 pm

45* cloudy, chilly and raining. I feel like this has pretty much been the weather for about seven weeks now (yes, I realize that is literally not true. But it sure feels like it).
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:23 pm

mikeypizano wrote:
Dtone wrote:I was up around Hopewell Junction a few days ago and it does look more dead and barren up there. Not that its lush vegatation here but its definitely looks more like spring around me with many flowering trees in full bloom or past bloom and headed toward the plain green leaves phase. grass is green not growing tall enough to have to mow but I'm no mowing expert. I figured its still going below freezing at night on semi regular basis up there.

The first cut usually, at least for me, isn't really tall, but it helps to even it out. I took off maybe a half inch or so. It also helps to get any leaves up as well. In yards that don't do weed control, chickweed is growing quick as is wild garlic. I did 3 yards so far, and will do a few more next week, but it is a very slow start here.

On the grass-cutting issue, I took my lawn mower out last night. In some areas the grass was so low it barely cut. In other spots though (different type of grass I assume) it was getting a bit high. So I did it to even things out moreso than because it really needed it. I'm glad to see from our professional in this area that what I did was not that unusual -- because I started to feel a little silly cutting a lawn where about 70 percent of it didn't need cutting.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Math23x7 wrote:I mentioned in the other thread that we could be looking at the coldest April in NYC since 1975 (which averaged 47.9).  Interesting enough, this was the last April to be below the 1871-1900 April average of 48.4 (I mentioned this in the stats thread).  When I put the forecast highs/lows from last night for the rest of the month with the month so far, the average came out to 49.1. The coldest April in my lifetime was 2003 at 49.8 (that also had a snowstorm).  Now, those Aprils in the late 19th century were something else.  The Aprils in 1874 and 1875 averaged at 41.1 and 43.1, respectively. February 2017 and February 2018 were both warmer than April 1874.  Also, if the April 2018 average is indeed 49.1, it would be 1.7 degrees colder than December 2015.

That last stat that this April my be colder than December 2015 is quite a testament to how freakishly warm December 2015 was. I believe it ended up about 2 degrees colder than the average April around here. Probably the worst weather month of my 56 years on Earth.

Also if the April average does end up as 49.1 as you project it would only be the 40th coldest April ever which again goes to show how much colder April use to be on average.

If you get a chance check that 30 year average you have for April averages from 1871-1900. I have 48.8 you mention 48.4 I want to see if one of us may have some bad data.

Thanks
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:07 pm

billg315 wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

On the grass-cutting issue, I took my lawn mower out last night. In some areas the grass was so low it barely cut. In other spots though (different type of grass I assume) it was getting a bit high. So I did it to even things out moreso than because it really needed it. I'm glad to see from our professional in this area that what I did was not that unusual -- because I started to feel a little silly cutting a lawn where about 70 percent of it didn't need cutting.

Usually I let the customer decide but the uneven poofs annoy me like crazy!
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:54 am

Brrrr 35° this morning
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:I mentioned in the other thread that we could be looking at the coldest April in NYC since 1975 (which averaged 47.9).  Interesting enough, this was the last April to be below the 1871-1900 April average of 48.4 (I mentioned this in the stats thread).  When I put the forecast highs/lows from last night for the rest of the month with the month so far, the average came out to 49.1. The coldest April in my lifetime was 2003 at 49.8 (that also had a snowstorm).  Now, those Aprils in the late 19th century were something else.  The Aprils in 1874 and 1875 averaged at 41.1 and 43.1, respectively. February 2017 and February 2018 were both warmer than April 1874.  Also, if the April 2018 average is indeed 49.1, it would be 1.7 degrees colder than December 2015.

That last stat that this April my be colder than December 2015 is quite a testament to how freakishly warm December 2015 was. I believe it ended up about 2 degrees colder than the average April around here. Probably the worst weather month of my 56 years on Earth.

Also if the April average does end up as 49.1 as you project it would only be the 40th coldest April ever which again goes to show how much colder April use to be on average.

If you get a chance check that 30 year average you have for April averages from 1871-1900. I have 48.8 you mention 48.4 I want to see if one of us may have some bad data.

Thanks

Does anyone else look at the temperature stats from that long ago and say what do these temps really mean when compared to today’s averages?  It’s like a sound bite on TV. It can be spun to mean what ever the presenter of the sound bite wants, but what does it really mean, because all your seeing or hearing is the snap shot or soundbite.  But what is the true context of the information surrounding the stat. I mean there is no way the number of reporting stations back then were even a fraction of what we have today. We know There are fairly wide temp ranges within only a few miles from any given location due to things like changes in elevation, urban heat island effects, or proximity to water to name a few.  So when I look at a stat like avg temp both locally and globally from back in the 1800’s I say to my self what does it really mean?  Anyone else ever scratch their heads at this?

PS. Mikey in no way is this a knock or shot at you. I appreciate the info

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Had a coating on grass this morning but once it melted off..

April Observations & Discussions - Page 7 SocYMrE
April Observations & Discussions - Page 7 TVADpaq
April Observations & Discussions - Page 7 QTBYwQI
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:10 pm

sroc4 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Thanks

Does anyone else look at the temperature stats from that long ago and say what do these temps really mean when compared to today’s averages?  It’s like a sound bite on TV. It can be spun to mean what ever the presenter of the sound bite wants, but what does it really mean, because all your seeing or hearing is the snap shot or soundbite.  But what is the true context of the information surrounding the stat. I mean there is no way the number of reporting stations back then were even a fraction of what we have today. We know There are fairly wide temp ranges within only a few miles from any given location due to things like changes in elevation, urban heat island effects, or proximity to water to name a few.  So when I look at a stat like avg temp both locally and globally from back in the 1800’s I say to my self what does it really mean?  Anyone else ever scratch their heads at this?

Scott, last year, I came across this very cool website which gives a reanalysis of the mean sea level pressure, 1000-500 mb thickness, and 500 mb heights every six hours from 1851-2016.

Regarding April 1874, there are three images that are eye candy for people like amugs and CP:

18Z April 4th: 1035 mb high over northern Minnesota, which created a massive trough in the East:

http://meteocentre.com/reanalyses/get_reanalyses.php?lang=en&mod=20cr&area=na&yyyy=1874&mm=04&dd=04&run=18

6Z April 12th: A 1042 mb high near Lake Huron, causing 500 mb heights in Southern Quebec to be sub-498(!):

http://meteocentre.com/reanalyses/get_reanalyses.php?lang=en&mod=20cr&area=na&yyyy=1874&mm=04&dd=12&run=06

12Z April 30th: An intensifying low pressure system entering Atlantic Canada causes 500 mb heights in Vermont/New Hampshire to be sub-522(!):

http://meteocentre.com/reanalyses/get_reanalyses.php?lang=en&mod=20cr&area=na&yyyy=1874&mm=04&dd=30&run=12

If you go to "Source" on the left hand side of the screen, for 1851-1947, it is "20th Century v2c". For 1948-2016, it is "NCEP/NCAR v1"

I especially like looking at the really powerful storms such as the 1888 Blizzard and Hurricane Sandy for this. This also gives maps for Europe and the Northern Hemisphere.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Math23x7 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Thanks

Scott, last year, I came across this very cool website which gives a reanalysis of the mean sea level pressure, 1000-500 mb thickness, and 500 mb heights every six hours from 1851-2016.  

Regarding April 1874, there are three images that are eye candy for people like amugs and CP:

18Z April 4th: 1035 mb high over northern Minnesota, which created a massive trough in the East:

http://meteocentre.com/reanalyses/get_reanalyses.php?lang=en&mod=20cr&area=na&yyyy=1874&mm=04&dd=04&run=18

6Z April 12th: A 1042 mb high near Lake Huron, causing 500 mb heights in Southern Quebec to be sub-498(!):

http://meteocentre.com/reanalyses/get_reanalyses.php?lang=en&mod=20cr&area=na&yyyy=1874&mm=04&dd=12&run=06

12Z April 30th:  An intensifying low pressure system entering Atlantic Canada causes 500 mb heights in Vermont/New Hampshire to be sub-522(!):

http://meteocentre.com/reanalyses/get_reanalyses.php?lang=en&mod=20cr&area=na&yyyy=1874&mm=04&dd=30&run=12

If you go to "Source" on the left hand side of the screen, for 1851-1947, it is "20th Century v2c".  For 1948-2016, it is "NCEP/NCAR v1"

I especially like looking at the really powerful storms such as the 1888 Blizzard and Hurricane Sandy for this.  This also gives maps for Europe and the Northern Hemisphere.

Great stuff Mike
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:51 pm

61.5°, over performed a tad, and I hate to say it, but my grass has started to grow... as i get older, astro-turf is looking better lol
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 pm

59* today..it was a beautiful spring day...for base ball....glad we did not have to watch the game in the cold!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:55 am

60 degrees a gorgeous day today on my way to Yankee game

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:22 pm

Absolutely wonderful here today! Did a cleanup, cut down some small trees on edge of someones property (LOCUST TREES SUCK!) and mowed the first repeat lawn of season. I also seen a bunch of people mowing today as well!
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:54 pm

1st week of May heat wave??
April Observations & Discussions - Page 7 Image.thumb.png.3c310ae4366588decc9694f3b2bb8558

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:13 pm

amugs wrote:1st week of May heat wave??
April Observations & Discussions - Page 7 Image.thumb.png.3c310ae4366588decc9694f3b2bb8558

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:06 pm

amugs wrote:1st week of May heat wave??

Already put in for a vacation day on May 4th! Cool

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum