NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Long Range Thread 5.0

+32
Grselig
essexcountypete
Quietace
carvin1079
chief7
1190ftalt
RJB8525
aiannone
Artechmetals
GreyBeard
Radz
HectorO
crippo84
tigernumba1
NjWeatherGuy
skinsfan1177
Math23x7
WOLVES1
SoulSingMG
LB3147
mako460
nutleyblizzard
jmanley32
Dunnzoo
Snow88
amugs
rb924119
sroc4
algae888
docstox12
CPcantmeasuresnow
Frank_Wx
36 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 5.0

Post by HectorO Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 am

syosnow94 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:I wonder what the pattern was going into the 1995-1996 killer winter we had here.There was snowpack from late-November to early April.Seems to me you want the favorable pattern locked in by late November and not have to keep pushing it further and further down the line.

Exactly what I've been saying since I joined this forum.  In a nutshell screw science and models.  If we get cold and snow early it sets the stage and we get future storms and corresponding weather.  The snowcover lowers temps and storms follow the same path.  We haven't had that and I would Respectfully point out that many forecasts of upcoming storms and cold potential keep busting and being delayed.  docstox12 put my feelings into words perfectly!!

Talking about a pattern lock not really early snow. Early snow has been a curse for us over the past few decades. 2011 is an example. I think we were all spoiled by 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11. Those were 3 great years. I think this winter will resemble 11/12 but not as mild or snowless.

HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 5.0

Post by GreyBeard Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:07 am

Wow,just pop my head in here on occasion to get the skuttlebut. Haven't been in a while and boy how things have changed. Looks more like Easter weather on Christmas Eve with rain and temps approaching 60.

Don't see any more posts on pattern changes that Frank was hyping and his blog describing why that was going to occur has mysteriously disappeared.(either that or I can't find it).
Guys are saying wait until mid January or even February 'til things start happening.We shall see.

As I said I'm more of an observer here than a poster, but that's the vibe I'm getting. I'm also not it the best of moods as I took a fall in the shower Monday night and fractured rib #6 in the back. It hurts just to breathe. Wouldn't wish this on anybody,but on the up side, I've got more time to study the board as I recuperate. Sorry for the rant, regards and best wishes to all.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 am

GreyBeard wrote:Wow,just pop my head in here on occasion to get the skuttlebut. Haven't been in a while and boy how things have changed. Looks more like Easter weather on Christmas Eve with rain and temps approaching 60.

Don't see any more posts on pattern changes that Frank was hyping and his blog describing why that was going to occur has mysteriously disappeared.(either that or I can't find it).
Guys are saying wait until mid January or even February 'til things start happening.We shall see.

As I said I'm more of an observer here than a poster, but that's the vibe I'm getting. I'm also not it the best of moods as I took a fall in the shower Monday night and fractured rib #6 in the back. It hurts just to breathe. Wouldn't wish this on anybody,but  on the up side, I've got more time to study the board as I recuperate. Sorry for the rant, regards and best wishes to all.

The blog is in the locked thread, but I'll post it here again. If you read it carefully, I said the 20th-24th would be a transition period (wild card storm being on thr 20th but obviously that's not happening). 25th and on is when I expect us to get in a better pattern. And just because the long range models say otherwise, does not mean I'm agreeing with it. 

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/2014/12/december-20th-21st-coastal-storm.html

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 am

syosnow94 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:I wonder what the pattern was going into the 1995-1996 killer winter we had here.There was snowpack from late-November to early April.Seems to me you want the favorable pattern locked in by late November and not have to keep pushing it further and further down the line.

Exactly what I've been saying since I joined this forum.  In a nutshell screw science and models.  If we get cold and snow early it sets the stage and we get future storms and corresponding weather.  The snowcover lowers temps and storms follow the same path.  We haven't had that and I would Respectfully point out that many forecasts of upcoming storms and cold potential keep busting and being delayed.  docstox12 put my feelings into words perfectly!!

Where exactly do you think we live? This is the NYC Metro area not Canada. You're right about the snow cover but that mainly applies to us between January and February. Plus, the most important regions to have snow cover are western Canada because as troughs come down the air temperature does not moderate as much.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks for the blog link, Frank. Just rustling your feathers a little bit, all in fun rendeer

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:23 am

There's guidance that shows a favorable pattern after Xmas, such as the 6z Gefs, and others that do not such as the Euro. The key will be the -NAO and where it sets up and that is dependent on where the strong Xmas Eve storm tracks to once it crosses our latitude. The models are struggling with its track and intensity, hence the long range has become volatile and inconsistent.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 am

GreyBeard wrote:Thanks for the blog link, Frank. Just rustling your feathers a little bit, all in fun rendeer

No worries, people are nervously reacting all across the weather community not just here. Just like any storm, models will lose it then bring it back. I think that's the case here as well. And trust me, if by Xmas Eve or even as early as Monday of next week and the models still are showing a delay then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. 

Another thing to keep I thr back of your minds is the Stratosphere continues to warm and those effects usually have a 2-week lag time.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 am

This is encouraging. In the LR models struggle with all the change happening in the atmosphere - it is not clear cut as some would like it to be but this is good IMO - let that cutter cut big time and it will dislodge the cold air and cause the cross polar flow (-AO) and build the heights over greenland for a nice block and the EPO going neg all helps - I think the SE ridge is over done but we shall see

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 F336

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 am

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 Post-710

GFS at 10 mb level in the stratosphere is splitting the PV still. This would mean much colder than normal weather sometime first week of January

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 am

Frank here is the temp departure due to the pv splitting

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 Post-747-0-01027600-1418914262

Also notice the + PNA in the west with this as the temps roar out there - f them I say and give me the cold with an active STJ

Its taking shape

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:56 am

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 34e6gzp
Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 34gvjas

A muted/neutral PNA for the the later part of Dec - better than a -PNA .

The -EPO, -NAO and - AO can help overcome this if  need be

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 am

GreyBeard wrote:Wow,just pop my head in here on occasion to get the skuttlebut. Haven't been in a while and boy how things have changed. Looks more like Easter weather on Christmas Eve with rain and temps approaching 60.

As I said I'm more of an observer here than a poster, but that's the vibe I'm getting. I'm also not it the best of moods as I took a fall in the shower Monday night and fractured rib #6 in the back. It hurts just to breathe. Wouldn't wish this on anybody,but  on the up side, I've got more time to study the board as I recuperate. Sorry for the rant, regards and best wishes to all.

Not true. Frank has actually been really honest and accurate in his forecasts. IMO he's pretty good at what he does.

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:02 pm

Ensembles agree on the change here - a good sign cheers

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 GEFSNHEM500mbAnom12192

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:35 pm

I noticed xmas eve system has been all over the place since santabomb hyper started, lol. Its def go be some time before we know how strong it will be and where it goes. It could cause us major problems though with mainly prolonged period of wind looking somewhat likelyas that has not left the model runs just in terms of intensity is question.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Frank post good luck today lol, your done! Now we can both relax for a bit, are you graduating or still have semesters left? I have one left ugg.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Euro has both 24/25 and 27/28 as cutters, no good.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:30 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Frank post good luck today lol, your done!  Now we can both relax for a bit, are you graduating or still have semesters left? I have one left ugg.  

I'M SO DONE JMAN JUST GOT OUT OF THE EXAM!!!!! Praise Mary, Joseph, Jesus for getting me through college. 

Start work Jan 5th 

And the long range is flip flopping again. Go figure.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Yopu called a system on 27th, pretty good my man. I still see significant potential for major winds with both events but I'll wait for your official call on it even though weather sites are calling for it on 24/25th. Havent bothered to look at 26/27th although if that cutter happens I see same scenario, would that mean no good winter pattern setup and write it off or do will still have hope? Personally I would love to have a very windy xmas sunny and out measuring readings with my anemometer lol, yeah im selfish as I know a windstorm is not a good thing in most peoples books and I understand why, its just something that has amazed me since I was little and although I know its dangerous and damaging it still is exilerating for me. I dunno maybe I have some Jim Cantore in me, I'd do the 155mph wind tunnel lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Frank post good luck today lol, your done!  Now we can both relax for a bit, are you graduating or still have semesters left? I have one left ugg.  

I'M SO DONE JMAN JUST GOT OUT OF THE EXAM!!!!! Praise Mary, Joseph, Jesus for getting me through college. 

Start work Jan 5th 

And the long range is flip flopping again. Go figure.

Congrats Frank. That's a huge accomplishment. I remember my last final as well. What a huge wt lifted. Now comes the real world. The daily grind..lol. Head on over to Nonnas house and she if she will pour you a shot of some home made grappa. drunken for your troubles.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Two things to watch:

1. The Xmas Eve to Xmas Day storm. I am really hoping the timing comes before Xmas. Right now models are split on whether on the timing of this storm and which day it comes on. My early forecast for this storm is 1.25-2.25 inches of rain with sustained winds between 20-25 mph with gusts on Xmas Day possibly getting into the 50's. Due to the potency of the upper level energy ejecting out of the Polar jet stream and phasing in with the STJ energy, this storm is likely to cut to our west. 

2. The Dec. 27th- Jan. 2nd time frame is worth watching. There could be 1 or 2 storms in this time period that I can see occurring. There's currently a train of cyclones in the Pacific that eventually have to make there way to the US west coast. Their remnant energy is then absorbed into the jet stream and works it's way through the U.S. Some models have the 27th storm cutting, others have it undercutting the block and approaching our area with plenty of cold air around. But let's focus on the Xmas Eve storm first because exactly where it tracks will be important to the evolution of the -NAO that develops.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Sounds like a decent forecast for the first system on xmas eve or day. Looks like strongest winds come xmas day, I could see them higher IF it really bombs out insanely like it had been the last several days but recent models have shown less of a impact on us, but its still not minor. The 18z GFS is horrible one cutter after another dear lord. Lucky its the 18z.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Are their other signs of the pattern changing such as the MJO and the signals seem to be correct
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:04 pm

skinsfan1177 wrote:Are their other signs of the pattern changing such as the MJO and the signals seem to be correct

MJO is not currently modeled to be in a favorable position any time soon.  But the MJO doesnt necessarily have to be perfect if other factors are present.  ie: -EPO, -NAO, weak to mode west based el nino, etc

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:32 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Sounds like a decent forecast for the first system on xmas eve or day.  Looks like strongest winds come xmas day, I could see them higher IF it really bombs out insanely like it had been the last several days but recent models have shown less of a impact on us, but its still not minor.  The 18z GFS is horrible one cutter after another dear lord.  Lucky its the 18z.

Check out the upgraded GFS @ 18z

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26 pm

January 2015 analogs based on GWO plots

Official Long Range Thread 5.0 - Page 9 10847989_10204575598482437_6594714422637089340_n

Source: Al Marinaro

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Artechmetals Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Hey Franks , congrats on finishing school !! Best of luck ! How's your confidence in the weather pattern change ? Are you still sticking by your original thoughts ? Again I think your forecasting knowledge is amazing
Artechmetals
Artechmetals
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Artechmetals wrote:Hey Franks , congrats on finishing school !! Best of luck ! How's your confidence in the weather pattern change ? Are you still sticking by your original thoughts ? Again I think your forecasting knowledge is amazing

Since Thanksgiving I have been saying Dec. 20th - Jan. 10th. I then originally though Dec. 20th-24th would be a transition period, but the new transition period is now Dec. 20th-Dec. 26th. I feel by New Years we will be in a great pattern with a couple storm chances between Dec. 27th-Jan. 5th

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum