NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 1.0

+52
Mathgod55
Philliesfan
nancy-j-s
emokid51783
Artechmetals
SNOW MAN
keliza52
deadrabbit79
chrism
lglickman1
Yschiff
jldio
jimv45
snow247
devsman
2004blackwrx
billg315
RJB8525
sabamfa
weatherwatchermom
LB3147
Scullybutcher
Analog96
Taffy
oldtimer
essexcountypete
dad4twoboys
GreyBeard
kalleg
Radz
mako460
SoulSingMG
Dtone
nutleyblizzard
NjWeatherGuy
aiannone
docstox12
carvin1079
algae888
bloc1357
Math23x7
CPcantmeasuresnow
Quietace
sroc4
Snow88
Grselig
Dunnzoo
Frank_Wx
amugs
skinsfan1177
HectorO
jmanley32
56 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 10 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 1.0

Post by kalleg Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:05 am

Interlude
by Linda Pastan

We are waiting for snow
the way we might wait for a train
to arrive with its cold cargo-
it is late already, but surely
it will come.

We are waiting for snow
the way we might wait
for permission
to breathe again.

For only the snow
will release us, only the snow
will be a letting go, a blind falling
towards the body of earth
and towards each other.

And while we wait at this window
whose sheer transparency
is clouded already
with our mutual breath,

it is as if our whole lives depended
on the freezing color
of the sky, on the white
soon to be fractured
gaze of winter.

"Interlude" by Linda Pastan from Queen of a Rainy Country. © Norton, 2008.

kalleg

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:33 pm

So I was given a 2010 Camry by my parents for xmas (we desperately needed a safer car for my wife and daughter). So that left me with the task of selling her 2003 Honda Civic which was hell on earth using CL. I had scam after scam bothering me for over 24 hrs. I finally gave up and went to a guy on Wednesday afternoon that I knew would low-ball me (but was a definite sale) but I needed to sell it by today so I could get the new car registered and she could dump her plates. So we made a plan to meet early Friday morning (then he says he wants us to sign blank documents.....ummm nooooo I don't think so, so I blew him off (he didn't even respond to me after I told him I wanted to do this legit). He resells cars so I knew exactly what he had up his sleeve. I was headed to CT to pick up the paperwork for the Camry from my parents on Thursday around noonish when I got two, what appeared to be very legit peoples responses. I turned around as one wanted to see the civic right then and there which was a good sign. He test drived it and we agreed on a sale (more than the unlegit people had offered me), we met up at 5pm and completed it and had a hell of a time getting the babies car seat out. Of course my wife (it was her car) made a mistake on the title, and the buyer was then hesitant to continue to the sale but it completed after discussing with insurance and they said the mistake was not major. We took the plates and everything off the car and went home, I then left around 7pm Thursday night to go to CT to get the documents for the Camry. This still on Thursday uggg. I got halfway there and noted my wallet was missing my drivers license! I looked everywhere and called every place I could remember going, no dice. SO i had to drive 160 miles round trip without a license (was nervous to say the least). I picked up the papers and got back to NY around midnight this morning. I finally figured out that I think I left my license on my desk at work when I was working on a document for the DMV and got distracted. Unfortunently my job was not open today so I had no choice but to apply for a replacement. SO I completed the documents for registering the Camry and for a new license in the wee hours this morning. I went to bed about 2am and woke at 7am to go to the DMV, I was very nervous I wouldn't be able to register the Camry since I had no license but turns out you can do both at the same time (oh we have another car to get around in at least so my wife drive while grandma watched baby). So after a pretty quick DMV (awesome) run and $200 in fees we then ran to CT to put everything on the Camry and drive it back to NY (and my wife drove our other car). I finally got home about an hour ago. I am exhausted lol, lalalala hoowee

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Wow, you need a drink.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Lol I'll have some on 10th not a big drinker. I need sleep but now I'm wired lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:53 am

Polar Voetex is on the list of 2014 Banished Words.

Go wild, Mother Nature. You're famous

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:25 pm

doc cp and mugs it was nice to get a little snow today. came down real hard for a short time. looks like replacing mugs with hector as our new king is off to a good start and if we get a few inches with the clipper on Tuesday mugs is banished for good. Very Happy now king hector I will like to be considered as your top advisor and if I get the position I have this advice. keep saying we will have a warm winter with no snow, post that temps are modeled and forecast to low and most of all keep pointing out the 60* day when the rest of the week will be bitter cold with well below normal temps. if you do this O KING we could trick mother nature and maybe salvage some of this winter.lol Very Happy
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:04 pm

jmanley32 wrote:So I was given a 2010 Camry by my parents for xmas (we desperately needed a safer car for my wife and daughter).  So that left me with the task of selling her 2003 Honda Civic which was hell on earth using CL.  I had scam after scam bothering me for over 24 hrs.  I finally gave up and went to a guy on Wednesday afternoon that I knew would low-ball me (but was a definite sale) but I needed to sell it by today so I could get the new car registered and she could dump her plates.  So we made a plan to meet early Friday morning (then he says he wants us to sign blank documents.....ummm nooooo I don't think so, so I blew him off (he didn't even respond to me after I told him I wanted to do this legit).  He resells cars so I knew exactly what he had up his sleeve.  I was headed to CT to pick up the paperwork for the Camry from my parents on Thursday around noonish when I got two, what appeared to be very legit peoples responses.  I turned around as one wanted to see the civic right then and there which was a good sign.  He test drived it and we agreed on a sale (more than the unlegit people had offered me), we met up at 5pm and completed it and had a hell of a time getting the babies car seat out.  Of course my wife (it was her car) made a mistake on the title, and the buyer was then hesitant to continue to the sale but it completed after discussing with insurance and they said the mistake was not major.  We took the plates and everything off the car and went home, I then left around 7pm Thursday night to go to CT to get the documents for the Camry.  This still on Thursday uggg.  I got halfway there and noted my wallet was missing my drivers license!  I looked everywhere and called every place I could remember going, no dice.  SO i had to drive 160 miles round trip without a license (was nervous to say the least).  I picked up the papers and got back to NY around midnight this morning.  I finally figured out that I think I left my license on my desk at work when I was working on a document for the DMV and got distracted.  Unfortunently my job was not open today so I had no choice but to apply for a replacement.  SO I completed the documents for registering the Camry and for a new license in the wee hours this morning.  I went to bed about 2am and woke at 7am to go to the DMV, I was very nervous I wouldn't be able to register the Camry since I had no license but turns out you can do both at the same time (oh we have another car to get around in at least so my wife drive while grandma watched baby).  So after a pretty quick DMV (awesome) run and $200 in fees we then ran to CT to put everything on the Camry and drive it back to NY (and my wife drove our other car).  I finally got home about an hour ago.  I am exhausted lol, lalalala hoowee

I need a drink after reading this.You poor soul, I hope it all worked out.

Sold an old heap minivan on CL without any hassle at all, in fact the guy lived two blocks away from me.CL full of scams ,always demand cash only.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:07 pm

algae888 wrote:doc cp and mugs it was nice to get a little snow today. came down real hard for a short time. looks like replacing mugs with hector as our new king is off to a good start and if we get a few inches with the clipper on Tuesday mugs is banished for good. Very Happy  now  king hector I will like to be considered as your top advisor and if I get the position I have this advice. keep saying we will have a warm winter with no snow, post that temps are modeled and forecast to low and most of all keep pointing out the 60* day when the rest of the week will be bitter cold with well below normal temps. if you do this O KING we could trick mother nature and maybe salvage some of this winter.lol Very Happy

Al, yeah, it was like a blizzard there for an hour, heavy snow and wind.Got almost 2 inches here.Now, above freezing and rain.

So far, Interem King Hector ( must be formally coronated after he accepts the role at OTI Parliament) is doing well.Snow today, maybe Tuesday.

I will expand my thoughts on OTI Thread as I do not wish to interfere with mainland business here.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:25 pm

docstox you have to take cash only as a seller, because too many buyer scammers who make bad or fake moneyorders. I am good now : ) Loving the Camry.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:35 pm

Glad it all worked out, J Man.

Rest, relax, enjoy!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:42 am

Oh god, I hate nothing more than unbearable cold like that with no real snow. I have to be outside in the city and with that wind I will be one miserable person later this week. Question, is it unsafe to take the baby out, even just to the car and to the sitter or should my wife stay home on Wed/Thurs, any parents advice, shes 20 months.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:22 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Oh god, I hate nothing more than unbearable cold like that with no real snow.  I have to be outside in the city and with that wind I will be one miserable person later this week. Question, is it unsafe to take the baby out, even just to the car and to the sitter or should my wife stay home on Wed/Thurs, any parents advice, shes 20 months.

Take the baby out, but warm up the car first and make sure she is covered enough so she doesn't breathe in too much bitter cold air and her extremities are covered.... fresh air is always good for the babies!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Oh god, I hate nothing more than unbearable cold like that with no real snow.  I have to be outside in the city and with that wind I will be one miserable person later this week. Question, is it unsafe to take the baby out, even just to the car and to the sitter or should my wife stay home on Wed/Thurs, any parents advice, shes 20 months.

Take the baby out, but warm up the car first and make sure she is covered enough so she doesn't breathe in too much bitter cold air and her extremities are covered.... fresh air is always good for the babies!
I agree. As long as she is bundled up she'll be fine.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Things aren't looking so good but I remain optimistic
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Al (in response to your post in obs. thread), you can have that 0 or lower temps to yourself, we don't need it to be that cold (my apartment has bad insulation and my office at my job no heat, they been saying fix it for years, if it was a union job i'd complain but its not!), especially without snow, 20's is perfect and no problems with precip type. these temps for this week are just going to be brutal.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Cold sucks period. Last year there were plenty of frigid events with snow and it just made it worse. Snow in my socks and etc.... lol. It sucks especially for someone like me who works outside. So I'll be layering up big time this week.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:57 pm

Kids are pretty hardy Jman. As long as you bundle her up good in layers and warm up the car and get it nice and warm before you bring her out there I think you will be good to go. I mean it's a short hop from the building to the car right?Get her cozy,get the car cozy go where you gotta go.Just reverse the whole process on the way back home and everything should be fine. I mean what do the folks who live in Minnesota or Montana or Colorado do when it gets really cold. You just prepare for it the best one can and carry on with your life.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dad4twoboys Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Hey Peoples.... What happened to the Members MAP ??
dad4twoboys
dad4twoboys
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

http://massageguy99.teamasea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:24 pm

dad4twoboys wrote:Hey Peoples.... What happened to the Members MAP ??

So.....

I tried to overlay it onto another map so I can use it for snow maps...but... I accidentally deleted it.

I'm going to make another one using another program, I think.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:42 pm

Good catch dadfor2.I thought he took it down because he was moving soon and wanted to be sure he would have it where he's going Razz

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:56 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
dad4twoboys wrote:Hey Peoples.... What happened to the Members MAP ??

So.....

I tried to overlay it onto another map so I can use it for snow maps...but... I accidentally deleted it.

I'm going to make another one using another program, I think.

Doh!

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Weather Service forecasting computers to become 10 times more powerful in 2015....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/01/05/weather-service-forecasting-computers-to-become-10-times-more-powerful-in-2015/

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Ryan maue tweeted that he'll be adding the UKMET soon to WxBell
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Quietace wrote:Ryan maue tweeted that he'll be adding the UKMET soon to WxBell
Nice addition

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 pm

I will be wearing shorts tomorrow as do almost every other day. Im not scared of some little cold spell.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:25 pm

I want a pic of your purple legs ace lol, I hope your not serious.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Anyone wanna take a road trip?
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/oymyakon-arctic-circle