NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 1.0

+45
Vinnydula
GreyBeard
JoeBx82
kalleg
rb924119
Dunnzoo
centaurusB
carvin1079
lglickman1
keliza52
Grselig
Dtone
weatherwatchermom
Artechmetals
oldtimer
HectorO
billg315
Biggin23
NjWeatherGuy
emokid51783
Quietace
deadrabbit79
dad4twoboys
H.G. Rising
smoggy14
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
algae888
amugs
nutleyblizzard
Abba701
Taffy
jmanley32
SNOW MAN
RJB8525
jimv45
snow247
docstox12
crippo84
mako460
essexcountypete
CPcantmeasuresnow
Frank_Wx
sroc4
Math23x7
49 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 25 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 1.0

Post by Grselig Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:32 pm

Sandy was really the first time I was truly scared of the weather. 3 small children and trees falling around us with neighbors roofs caved in is something I do not want to relive. i can only image what the Coast went through

Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:37 pm

No way do I want to relive Sandy. Let's stick with tropical storms and Jman type winds, you know, the 40-50 mph kind.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 pm

Grselig wrote:All I want for my birthday is a big storm. 1996, Boxing Day, 1978, 1983.  Vintage years.   I am sick and tired of 4 inch nuisance pieces of drizzle.  Men like Snow247 and SnowMan, CP  and SROC and Doc (although I know you are inching for the warmth)  and Syosnow (apologies if I misspelled your name)  and others who I missed, so apologies,  are quality folk who stand for the purity and goodness of winter.  When winter ends, great, but I hope it does not whither away without a fight.  FYI, I appreciate extremes so when its 110 with high humidity, I'll take it.  It reminds me of how great Winter is.   I don't want to see flowers.  i want to see a mountain of snow.  

Greslig it's good to know there are people like you still out there. When you get a chance come visit OTI and I'll see if I can get you a weeks Visa. Snow man abandoned the island months ago, you can use his hollowed out log if you wish.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:06 pm

snow247 wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:All this talk of warm weather is very disturbing. Cp are you and I the only two that don't want Winter to end.

Hi, I don't want it to end either

This talk about warmer/calmer weather is depressing me lol

I agree with you 100%. Just remember when you see the grass you have to start cutting at least once a week or more.
After a few weeks it starts to get on your nerves. I consider the Winter my retirement from yard work. Think about how exciting the last few weeks have been tracking these crazy storms. The highs and lows it's all been a lot of fun. You know in Summer your only going to get rain, but in Winter you can get so many different types of storms. From all snow to a slop storm, to nothing at all. You just can't beat that kind of excitement. Plus what do we all do ? We keep checking the long range thread to see what's possibly coming a little further down the road.
I just walked down to get my mail and the moon was rising in the East and it's 11* out with a brisk wind out of the NW and I could not believe how beautiful the moonlight looked on the fresh mantle of snow. It just made me feel so good to be alive. And that's why I love Winter so much.
This weather board is fantastic because we have a bunch of dedicated people who take a lot of their spare time giving us forecasts that are better than the pro's. They always make me feel like I have the inside scoop on all of these Winter storms, while non members just get the same old song and dance from the pro's. To all of these dedicated people I say GREAT JOB and THANKS !
To Sroc and Mugs, thanks for giving me hope there could be one more snow event before it comes to an end. I'll be checking the long range thread frequently for updates.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:16 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Grselig wrote:All I want for my birthday is a big storm. 1996, Boxing Day, 1978, 1983.  Vintage years.   I am sick and tired of 4 inch nuisance pieces of drizzle.  Men like Snow247 and SnowMan, CP  and SROC and Doc (although I know you are inching for the warmth)  and Syosnow (apologies if I misspelled your name)  and others who I missed, so apologies,  are quality folk who stand for the purity and goodness of winter.  When winter ends, great, but I hope it does not whither away without a fight.  FYI, I appreciate extremes so when its 110 with high humidity, I'll take it.  It reminds me of how great Winter is.   I don't want to see flowers.  i want to see a mountain of snow.  

Greslig it's good to know there are people like you still out there. When you get a chance come visit OTI and I'll see if I can get you a weeks Visa. Snow man abandoned the island months ago, you can use his hollowed out log if you wish.

I can't believe your offering my log to someone else. I'm truly disappointed. Sad
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:02 am

They received 4.8 inches of snow in Washington DC yesterday and they closed all of their schools today. What the heck is up with that? They really freak out at snow down there, it's quite comical.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:48 am

Grselig, you express my thoughts perfectly here.I have been observing winter for twice the age of some of our younger members here, and quite frankly, although these small snowstorms are fun tracking becaue of the board, years ago I wouldn't even bother if it wasn't going to be at least a foot or more.True, I want the warmer weather by April 1, but I am all in for winter from Nov 1 to April1.I'll take another snowstorm between now and April 1 but if it's not at least 12 inches or more up here, fugettaboudit!!!!!

As much as I love -5 with 20 inch snowpack, I also love walking around in shorts and t-shirt in 95 degrees with high humidity.I love all the seasons and what they bring weatherwise and have made a commitment here to get more active in the other three seasons besides winter to see what our amazing staff of weather analysts come up with this year.

If this last storm was the finale, I want to thank Frank especially for providing this board and giving me hundreds of hours of knowledge and a lot of great laughs.All the other contributors are amazing and i thank them for an incredible winter season of fun (not over t'il its over!).
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:21 am

snow247 wrote:Since I'm young, the best snowstorm I can remember was the Boxing Day Blizzard in 2010. Extremely heavy snow from around 2PM to around 12AM. Finished with around 2 feet. Impressive for such a short duration. I remember reading something about a possible blizzard over a week before on the 7online board, then I forgot about it since I didn't follow the forums as much back then. On the morning of the 25th, I turned on the TV and it was on NBC 4 I believe, and the first thing I heard and saw was like "major blizzard to hit the area tomorrow". I was extremely happy and excited, to say the least.

I remember the day of the storm. Still in shock, I was watching live cams in NYC since snow was supposed to start there first, it did, and it took almost an hour after that to start up here, I was actually starting to call bust lol, needless to say, only a few hours later I was in paradise.

And with that, I leave you with a photo that was taken around 8 or 9 PM that night, and one taken the morning after. I have never seen a storm nearly as good since then, hopefully I do real soon. I want a new favorite!

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 25 Img_2910

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 25 Img_2911

Great pictures and great memories.This was a great storm but it still was favoring areas E of us.I got maybe 24 but my sister on the Jersey Shore got 36.My buddies summer house in Lake Wallenpaupack PA had only a few inches.Western jersey areas had maybe 5 to 7.Same thing with that Feb storm a few years ago that dumped over 25 inches on NYC.Mahwah got maybe 18, lucky, because the cutoffs were sharp on that one too as you went west.

There has not been statewide major snowstorms since March 1993 and Han 1996, storms that you don't worry about cutoffs, dry air, subsidence or whatever scroos your area.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:25 am

All news outlets reporting 9.5 inches in Washington DC Dulles when the city of Washington DC received 4.8 inches of Snow. It must drive snow loving kids crazy there when they see reports of 9.5 inches when they didn't receive half of that.

It goes back to news outlets reporting Dulles airport as Washington DC totals when Dulles airport is in NW Virginia a full 35 miles from Washington DC. It's like reporting NYC totals by taking measurements in NW New Jersey. TWC started this and everyone else has picked up on it over the years. It's just plain ignorance, if they want to report Dulles totals label it as the town in Virginia where the airport is. Report WDC totals from Reagan National airport which is in WDC.

My next crusade if the zookeeper thing ever gets fixed.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:48 am

SNOW MAN wrote:
snow247 wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:All this talk of warm weather is very disturbing. Cp are you and I the only two that don't want Winter to end.

I agree with you 100%. Just remember when you see the grass you have to start cutting at least once a week or more.
After a few weeks it starts to get on your nerves. I consider the Winter my retirement from yard work. Think about how exciting the last few weeks have been tracking these crazy storms. The highs and lows it's all been a lot of fun. You know in Summer your only going to get rain, but in Winter you can get so many different types of storms. From all snow to a slop storm, to nothing at all. You just can't beat that kind of excitement. Plus what do we all do ? We keep checking the long range thread to see what's possibly coming a little further down the road.
 I just walked down to get my mail and the moon was rising in the East and it's 11* out with a brisk wind out of the NW and I could not believe how beautiful the moonlight looked on the fresh mantle of snow. It just made me feel so good to be alive. And that's why I love Winter so much.  
 This weather board is fantastic because we have a bunch of dedicated people who take a lot of their spare time giving us forecasts that are better than the pro's. They always make me feel like I have the inside scoop on all of these Winter storms, while non members just get the same old song and dance from the pro's. To all of these dedicated people I say GREAT JOB and THANKS !
To Sroc and Mugs, thanks for giving me hope there could be one more snow event before it comes to an end. I'll be checking the long range thread frequently for updates.

Could not agree more!!!!!!! Refreshing this morning to see the fresh snow and brisk air. And I hate doing the lawn in the summer. Every weekend for an hour minimum.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:06 am

I want a Sandy storm, just even stronger, and in early February with 20 degree temperatures!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:11 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:They received 4.8 inches of snow in Washington DC yesterday and they closed all of their schools today. What the heck is up with that? They really freak out at snow down there, it's quite comical.

Its ridiculous down there. I lived there it was weird. They dont avg huge amounts of snow but they act like Atlanta or something. Whats strange their 30 yr avg has dropped alot. Only 15" or so but there was a time it was 20"+. BWI still avg a little over 20 but National is consistanly one the lowest totals in the metro area.

I think the biggest reason for DC snow hystera is the transient nature of the city. Alot of ppl move there from somewhere else for poltical, career or educational reasons. It can snow alot but not as consistanly as futher north so they can get blasted with snow but can also go years with single digit snow seasons. If you only lived there for 5 years then you may have never seen a real significant snowfall. If you moved from a warm place even worse. Its the opposite of us recalling 96, boxing day, etc.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:13 am

You know what's crazy ? They closed schools again in my area for the third day in a row and we got less than an inch. Roads have been cleared early all three days. I don't get it.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:24 am

Going to Great Wolf Lodge today with my daughter for the weekend looking forward to the 85*
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:25 am

Grselig wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:
snow247 wrote:

Could not agree more!!!!!!!  Refreshing this morning to see the fresh snow and brisk air.   And I hate doing the lawn in the summer.  Every weekend for an hour minimum.

LOL,no more lawns for me ever! We hire a guy who comes to cut the lawn and have a lawn service to apply fertilizer and chemicals.Worth every cent after I did it over 45 years for my Parents then my own home in Mahwah.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:39 am

docstox12 wrote:
Grselig wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:
snow247 wrote:

Could not agree more!!!!!!!  Refreshing this morning to see the fresh snow and brisk air.   And I hate doing the lawn in the summer.  Every weekend for an hour minimum.

LOL,no more lawns for me ever! We hire a guy who comes to cut the lawn and have a lawn service to apply fertilizer and chemicals.Worth every cent after I did it over 45 years for my Parents then my own home in Mahwah.

Doc, I tried that last year and I ended up firing the company. They just wanted to rush around and get it done as fast as possible and half the time they missed spots. So I had to go and touch it up. When I complained they said I was to fussy. They were right. I'm very fussy when it comes to my yard and house. You know the old saying. If you want a job done right do it yourself. They just sent me a quote for doing it this year. GOOD LUCK ! Not going to happen.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:55 am

DID SOMEONE SAY GRASS!!  NOW WE'RE TALKING!!

I am completely anal retentive with my lawn.  Insist on doing it myself.  Best thing I ever did was put in a sprinkler system.  20 minutes every morning at 5:00 am from April through October does WONDERS!  
One of my greatest pleasures is taking the drive up to my parents' house in the summer every week (I'm off all summer Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy) and hopping on the tractor to cut the field.  They live at the top of a mountain and have a 5 acre field that gently slopes away from the house with a hundred mile view of the highest peaks in the Catskills and the Ashoken Reservoir.  Stunning.  A cold 6 pack in a cooler on the tractor, no shirt just a straw cowboy hat.  Takes about 5 hours.   Then a quick nap and a 10 minute ride to my favorite trout stream for a few hours then a local pub for dinner at about 9 or when it gets dark.  The best part is I'm alone the entire time, although Doc you can join me this summer at some point if you're up for it.  It's about an hour north of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:33 am

Jimmy, going to general banter with my reply.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:54 pm

18z GFS white flag
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Since February 16th, Boston has had 10" of snow while NYC has had 21.4" of snow.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:02 pm

Video of the storm yesterday in Manhattan, do they always plow with trash trucks? Never been in the city during a snowstorm, although I would love to be!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsxy1X5Mok
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Quietace wrote:18z GFS white flag

lol! lol! lol!

If that 18Z ever came about and of course this far out the chances are slim, I might even wave the white flag Ace.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:42 pm

00z GFS is rolling.... Anyone else as excited as I am for a GFS run?
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 pm

snow247 wrote:00z GFS is rolling.... Anyone else as excited as I am for a GFS run?

It's to far out to take it serious yet snow. If it's showing something similar on Tuesday I'll start to look.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:45 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
snow247 wrote:00z GFS is rolling.... Anyone else as excited as I am for a GFS run?

It's to far out to take it serious yet snow. If it's showing something similar on Tuesday I'll start to look.

I know and I completely agree, just interested in seeing if the threat holds.
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Hehe

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 25 Post-692-0-17672600-1425699529

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Hehe

Wx Banter Thread 1.0 - Page 25 Post-692-0-17672600-1425699529

Wish this storm was tomorrow lol, everyone wins!

Btw, looks like some snow showers or light snow possible this weekend.
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum