NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE #1: SUNDAY FEB 8TH-TUESDAY FEB 10TH STORM POTENTIAL

+26
hyde345
SNOW MAN
docstox12
Abba701
Math23x7
carvin1079
CPcantmeasuresnow
Quietace
SoulSingMG
emokid51783
devsman
lglickman1
aiannone
RJB8525
algae888
jimv45
keliza52
Frank_Wx
trainwatcher7
amugs
Grselig
jmanley32
rb924119
skinsfan1177
Taffy
sroc4
30 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

UPDATE #1: SUNDAY FEB 8TH-TUESDAY FEB 10TH STORM POTENTIAL - Page 3 Empty Re: UPDATE #1: SUNDAY FEB 8TH-TUESDAY FEB 10TH STORM POTENTIAL

Post by emokid51783 Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Let's take the nooses down so far people. It's a complicated set up, and when all the energy gets on shore it can actually get modeled properly. There's enough cold air in place that it can certainly make it down through NYC

emokid51783

Back to top Go down

UPDATE #1: SUNDAY FEB 8TH-TUESDAY FEB 10TH STORM POTENTIAL - Page 3 Empty Re: UPDATE #1: SUNDAY FEB 8TH-TUESDAY FEB 10TH STORM POTENTIAL

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:15 pm

emokid51783 wrote:Let's take the nooses down so far people. It's a complicated set up, and when all the energy gets on shore it can actually get modeled properly. There's enough cold air in place that it can certainly make it down through NYC

Well, the cold is there to a certain extent. The problem we're seeing again is the surface low maturing to our south and west which raises heights along the EC. There's plenty of confluence to our north to prevent a cutter, but the initial rise in heights pushes the temp. gradient north too. We need the 1st wave on Saturday to track further south or for the HP to our north to press south.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:18 pm

FWIW, and not a lot since its based completely off the GFS as has been stated before but the local forecasts such as TWC, NWS and weatherunderground have 1 inch sunday, 3-5 sunday night, 3-5 Monday and 1-3 Monday night. That would be sweet but things do only look ok, and my bad Frank, usually when you remove something it means your no longer interested, it seemed kinda odd to me so I guess I should waited. FWIW the Euro ensembles are not terrible for NYC, but its long duration and not all that much even if it is a foot I would not classify 1-2 1/2 days to get that a Godzilla, or would you Frank? I know NWS mentioned that if it was over that long a period everyone would likely see WWA rather than WSW, unless the coastal hits hard which would warrant WSW, they said WSW has to be snowfall within a 24 hour period, I did not know that, WWA is over that or lower amounts I believe under 6.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:24 pm

jmanley32 wrote:FWIW, and not a lot since its based completely off the GFS as has been stated before but the local forecasts such as TWC, NWS and weatherunderground have 1 inch sunday, 3-5 sunday night, 3-5 Monday and 1-3 Monday night.  That would be sweet but things do only look ok, and my bad Frank, usually when you remove something it means your no longer interested, it seemed kinda odd to me so I guess I should waited.  FWIW the Euro ensembles are not terrible for NYC, but its long duration and not all that much even if it is a foot I would not classify 1-2 1/2 days to get that a Godzilla, or would you Frank?  I know NWS mentioned that if it was over that long a period everyone would likely see WWA rather than WSW, unless the coastal hits hard which would warrant WSW, they said WSW has to be snowfall within  a 24 hour period, I did not know that, WWA is over that or lower amounts I believe under 6.

The problem with long duration, light snowfall events is some of the snow starts to melt and you'll never get an accurate measurement of how much as fallen. It's very easy for cleaning crew's to keep up with it as long as it's light. That said, still too early in the game. While trends today have gone north, the last storm turned out colder than expected so models may not have a grasp of the low level cold until Friday at the latest. Also need to wait for better sampling. Potential is still there for significant, but I am betting against it for now.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:49 pm

True enough, measuring would be hard you would have to do it a lot and since most of us work that's impossible. I will wait for your call, I wish you didn't say you were better against it but that's the call now. I am hoping the timeframe second half of month goes paydirt.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Mr. Goldberg says the idea of snow stacking up from a long period of snow this weekend looks less likely, will be amending his forecast. Well that's that. lol
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:26 pm

We can't just get it to go our way it seems
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Of course local Mets now back off bc it's not going their way.
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:38 pm

skinsfan1177 wrote:Of course local Mets now back off bc it's not going their way.

It's straight up model hugging. They can only go by what the models tell them. I'm sure when the talk among themselves they're probably thinking "man, this should trend this way because the pattern looks like this" or "this event in the past looks like a pattern we're currently in"

They can't say that on TV

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
skinsfan1177 wrote:Of course local Mets now back off bc it's not going their way.

It's straight up model hugging. They can only go by what the models tell them. I'm sure when the talk among themselves they're probably thinking "man, this should trend this way because the pattern looks like this" or "this event in the past looks like a pattern we're currently in"

They can't say that on TV
Most forecast off of the "Futurecast" (4 or 12km RPM from WSI) these days that lead to inaccuracies in short term forecasting for on air mets. They use it for snowfall, future radar, and temps to give the public the information in the most "simplistic" way possible to understand the data. Yet sometimes this way leads to misconceptions about forecasts and inaccuracies. I am sure on air mets hate using the RPM as its performance is mostly below average, yet find is necessary to keep the public modestly informed. Which goes along with what you are saying. They cant say what they want too, because A) the public will misinterpret it, or B) the public wont understand data or forecast. This goes along with the need to further inform the public about weather forecasting so we can be a safer and more responsive country to events.

Last edited by Quietace on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:52 pm

lee said north of ny city best shot of several inches.

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:11 pm

18z GFS went further north again. Please don't hate me. I know Frank is already jealous lol
UPDATE #1: SUNDAY FEB 8TH-TUESDAY FEB 10TH STORM POTENTIAL - Page 3 Usa_as14

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Haha no Alex. From a climatology standpoint this storm is yours.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:52 pm

The ridge out west collapses, flow turns zonal, northern stream energy heads into Upstate NY

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:59 pm

aiannone wrote:18z GFS went further north again. Please don't hate me. I know Frank is already jealous lol

Lee's going with the northern trend as well
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

aiannone wrote:18z GFS went further north again. Please don't hate me. I know Frank is already jealous lol

I liked you a lot better when you lived in Long Island. Can you transfer to Stony Brook?
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Bernie Rayno thinks ny city is in the game but north of that looks good for 6 plus!

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:05 pm

A LONG DURATION WINTER WEATHER EVENT IS LIKELY FROM SATURDAY NIGHT
INTO MONDAY NIGHT. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THAT THE LOWER HUDSON
VALLEY AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT WILL SEE PRIMARILY SNOW WITH THE
POTENTIAL FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES OF ACCUMULATION...WHILE NORTHEAST
NEW JERSEY...THE NEW YORK CITY METROPOLITAN AREA AND LONG ISLAND
MAY BE MORE LIKELY TO SEE SNOW CHANGING TO A WINTRY MIX.

screwed again.  Moving to Boston!!

Just another example of being in the bullseye too early leading to too much hype.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:07 pm

cp doc looks good for us have feeling this will move south a bit!!

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 pm

New England is really the 'SuperBowl' winner this season with snow. It just keeps coming down and this storm'll be no different. I just got back from Southern NH yesterday and you wouldn't believe the snowpack they've got from just the last 8 days. Most snow in Boston during any 7 day stretch in history.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Incidentally, TWC has changed their once-consistent "snow 80%' for Sunday/Monday in NYC to Wintry Mix.

What do we think the chances are of this trending south now that better sampling will come in on the 00z's?
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by carvin1079 Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:25 pm

None because when it's no its no when it's there its always not sure

carvin1079

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:26 pm

i think that last storm with go more south and bernie Rayno who i think is very good does to!

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by devsman Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 pm

I think we have a chance for the next storm if 5 days before it, the maps show a blizzard in miami. Most likely though, it will be a mix from NYC south.
devsman
devsman
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 pm

syosnow94 wrote:A LONG DURATION WINTER WEATHER EVENT IS LIKELY FROM SATURDAY NIGHT
INTO MONDAY NIGHT. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THAT THE LOWER HUDSON
VALLEY AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT WILL SEE PRIMARILY SNOW WITH THE
POTENTIAL FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES OF ACCUMULATION...WHILE NORTHEAST
NEW JERSEY...THE NEW YORK CITY METROPOLITAN AREA AND LONG ISLAND
MAY BE MORE LIKELY TO SEE SNOW CHANGING TO A WINTRY MIX.

screwed again.  Moving to Boston!!

Just another example of being in the bullseye too early leading to too much hype.

Move to the HV, we average more snow per season than Boston, plus we don't have the annoying accents.

This year so far is their year, not always the case.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:01 pm

jimv45 wrote:cp doc looks good for us have feeling this will move south a bit!!

I agree Jim, still 3 days away and most sampling isn't even on land yet. If it doesn't go our way it's Alex's fault.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:30 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
jimv45 wrote:cp doc looks good for us have feeling this will move south a bit!!

I agree Jim, still 3 days away and most sampling isn't even on land yet. If it doesn't go our way it's Alex's fault.

I'll take the blame, which will feel pretty crappy, but then i'll get my 8-10" of snow and be happy again :p. And no, I would never transfer to Stony Brook lol. The program is too good here!

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum